293 : the office wasn't burned

Today was another hard day...not as traumatizing as yesterday, but still really difficult.

I woke up wondering why I set my alarm and then remembered that this was real. Ugh. That meant today I actually had to face what happened and see the results of the damage. Even as I type this it still doesn't feel real.

There was such a quiet and somber tone that filled the building and the parking lot this morning. Various people surveying their own damages and loss, while others just wanting to see the destruction of the fire. The hallway was worse then I imagined and when I saw the plastic dripping down the wall, the sign that until yesterday, held my business name and suite number, my heart hurt. Thankfully, when I opened my door, I had little damage done to my office. My dad and Jeff helped me put everything worth saving in trash bags and we hauled everything out of there. After walking down the hallway and seeing the other offices, I'm just so grateful to have anything to actually haul out.
The remnants of the sign outside my door
The ceiling outside my office door.
The Hallway. Sadly, the light comes from the fact that the ceiling/roof are completely gone.
My office door
To my fellow suitemates, I've enjoyed (well, mostly enjoyed) my 3 years in suite 211 getting to know you all. Saul, we used to call you our "office dad" since you'd look out for us so much when we first moved in. Thank you. Adam, my heart hurts for your loss and damages. Seeing/hearing you run up and down the stairs became part of my daily life at the office. Thanks for being such a good neighbor. To everyone else, the best of luck to you all.

To my dad and Jeff, you're both my rocks and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for helping me through this. I couldn't have done it without you.

It's hard to fathom that I won't see gizmo looking out the window. Or hear the hum from the dry cleaners below anymore. 2010 has been all about change for me, and as heart heavy and numb as I am right now, I know that this terrible accident will lead to bigger and better things.

1 comment:

  1. Jen, i could'nt be more proud of how you handled yourself thru all of this. i can only imaging how you felt, seeing your 'creative sanctuary', always so neat/tidy, in chaotic disarray. so lean on me whenever you feel the need. in difficult times, i always read the words of the 'desiderata' and find a line or two that make me smile..."And whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life,keep peace in your soul, for with all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.Be cheerful. Strive to be happy."

    ReplyDelete