277 : comic sans (gasp!)

Clearly, I'm no stranger to typography. I've posted about it dozens of times on this blog. But today, I feel compelled to post about the black sheep of fonts, Comic Sans.


I really like what Tom Fauls has to say about Comic Sans in the above video. I do however disagree with the argument that it's not a well designed font because the default kerning is bad. Um, we're designers, people, we shouldn't be dependent on default kerning anyway. And it's overused? Seriously? What about Helvetica? Should we all hate that because you can't drive down the street without seeing it? I think not.

While I get the majority of the design world absolutely despises the font, I think it's ironic that one single font can't cause so much negative emotion in people. Love it, or hate it, I really don't care. Comic Sans has it's place in the world, just like every other typeface out there. I really don't see the sense in devoting so much time and energy into hating something that you have no control over. Don't want to see CS? Then don't use it.

"Good typography should be like a wonderful, clear crystal goblet that holds wine. Much better than a golden goblet, with jewels on the outside. Because the point of the crystal goblet is that you can see the wine on the inside; you can appreciate the colors of it." Tom Fauls

I completely agree. And if you can do this and use Comic Sans...well, the more power to you.

I did however, get a laugh out of this...

No comments:

Post a Comment