247 : yiayia's religious icons

I got my very first car after my YiaYia (grandma, in Greek) was no longer able to drive. In it, I found various religious icons in things like the glove box and arm rest. I even found a secret compartment in the trunk with a bag of religious jewelry inside (crosses, icons, a "piece" of the cross). While I had the car, I never took the items out, even though I don't necessarily consider myself a religious person.

When I got car #2, the religious icons followed, but I decided to tuck her secret stash away in my jewelry box. I never really gave the items in the car a second thought until today. While clearing out car #2 and deciding what to transfer to the new car, I knew the icons were sure to follow. It may seem silly, but I highly doubt I'll ever own a car without those things being in it. Afterall, it's a little piece of her that's still with me, and that my friends, makes me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment